Tuesday 4 October 2011

The world as my classroom - That's what makes me smile!

I realized last night, as I am working on two presentations with a giant smile on my face and singing to music, that I am a ‘keener!’ This week has been one of my busiest weeks, but I’m still enjoying myself! I found myself wondering why? I might be busy, but I’m enjoying every minute of it! Studying, assignments…tests…How could this possibly be fun?

Five years ago, if you asked me what my goals were in life, I would have said finish my undergrad, go to grad school, get a job, buy a house, have a family… Until I met Mark, an amazing man who told me that I should take a step back and explore the world around me. So that’s what I did, very uncertainly…But for this reason, I think I have a much stronger appreciation for what I am doing now, and I know 100% that Teaching is what I want to do for the rest of my career!

 

I remember stepping onto the plane on my way to Iceland thinking, “what am I doing,” I should be at home, at school, working towards that house! I could not have been more wrong. A year later I returned with more knowledge about the world that I would have ever gained inside of a classroom! I learned so much about myself, and the way I view the world. People always told me, the world is a small place…I didn’t believe them, until I bumped into some girls who live down the street from me in Toronto, all the way in Australia! The world IS a small place, and yet it has so much to offer! It felt like I had an ‘observation day’ every day. I went from only ever seeing a small piece of Europe and the United states, to exploring the volcanoes in Iceland, camping on the Adriatic Sea in Croatia, to camel trekking through the Sahara desert in Morocco. After Morocco, we flew to South East Asia where I met some amazing groups of people and ate like a queen! Then we headed down under to the Land of Oz and then over to New Zealand where we settled in a little town called Kati Kati and worked in a Kiwi Factory. Who knew that putting kiwifruit into boxes would be so much fun! The past year is something I will cherish forever! It truly was a life lesson! For this reason, I have returned home, after a year of self-reflection and learning, knowing exactly where I should be and what I want to do! These life experiences are what cause me to smile while I’m working on 2 presentations, studying for a test and writing ‘this blog!’ I can honestly say that I have no regrets and I look forward to the next adventure!

2 comments:

  1. So much work!!! Great blog and I love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I just love those pictures. What an opportunity that you have had - and it seems that it has given you a different perspective. I could hear your voice in this post Jacqueline, your energy and your passion.
    Good luck on your block. I look forward to hearing all about it Teacher!

    ReplyDelete